So yeah, i was really tired and busy last night, so i will try and write some now, when i have the time! I have been having a really great experience here so far!!
I started at the Neumark Grundschule yesterday, and I went today too. A little background...so in Germany, especially in Berlin, there are a lot of Turkish and Arabic immigrants. There are different areas in Berlin which are known to have more foreigners than natives, and I live and teach in such an area. The school is in a place called Schöneberg, and the school is 98% students of Arabic or Turkish background! This has been a really facinating for me, as it was totally not what i had expected, but in a good way. The kids are really interesting and sweet, and I am trying to get to know all their names, which has proved to be a little challenging. They have mostly Arabic or Turkish names that are really hard to pronounce!
Today, I started in a 6th grade English class. The teacher decided to have the kids write out and ask me questions in English, so that they could improve on their English skills, asking questions, specifically. Some of the questions were pretty normal (Do you like Berlin? What is your favorite movie? What is your favorite animal?). But much to my amusement, other questions included "Do you have a baby?" and "Do you smoke?" Another girl asked how old i was, and when i said 21, her response was "oh, my mom is just a few years older than you!" Keep in mind, this girl is 11. I also sat in a history class, where one of the boys asked if Obama was a dictator...again, i was pretty amused! As I said, i have met some really interesting and really adorable kids. I have also discovered that in some ways, kids are universal: no matter how difficult your day starts out, its hard to be grumpy when you get to work with children!
Later, i was in a band/theater class. They are preparing a play about King Midas, and it was really fun to be there for it! The kids are so enthusiastic, and a little off the walls, but i really did enjoy it. So far, everything has been great, soooooo glad to be here!!
No comments:
Post a Comment